1835, 170 years ago, three foreign priests landed at Tilbury on 16th
June: a young Italian Dr. LuigI Gentili, and two Frenchmen, Frs Anthony
Rey and Emilius Belisy.
These men were Rosminian Fathers. They
were the pioneer members of the Institute of Charity, only founded in
1828 by the saintly, noble Roveretan philosopher, Fr Antonio Rosmini.
Within a decade they were
largely to transform the shy
face of English Catholicism such as was emerging after the Catholic
Emancipation of 1829.
||These priests were to give it a bolder, more
dramatic, dynamic and devotional aspect.
society, consisting of both priests and brothers, is dediacted to
universal charity, and so is open, under Providence, to any work in the
service of the Church.
the present time the brethren of England & Wales are mainly occupied with
parish work in
the Midlands and South Wales, but members also work in New
Zealand and Italy
Antonio Rosmini has recently been beatified